Monday, October 5, 2026

Journey to the Center of the Sun - Vintage Verne - Pt 4

 XVIII. A Game of Chess in the Lumenite City 


As recorded by Axel Lidenbrock

The Lumenite city dimmed to a twilight glow as the great tableau of the Umbra’s origin faded. The Professor hurried off with the Lumenites to study the stabilizer sphere’s pulses, muttering equations under his breath. Hans, ever steady, found a quiet alcove near one of the crystalline towers and sat down with his pack.

I followed him, needing a moment of human normalcy after witnessing the cosmic wound that threatened our Sun.

Hans opened the pack and withdrew a small wooden box. Inside was a chess set—simple, sturdy, carved from Icelandic birch. He set the pieces on a crystalline table that obligingly flattened itself into a perfect square.

Hans gestured.

I sat.

The pieces glowed faintly in the Lumenite light, casting long shadows across the table. The city hummed around us, a soft electric resonance like distant organ pipes.

Hans opened with his king’s pawn.

I countered.

We played in silence, save for the faint click of wood on crystal. It was a strange comfort—this ancient human game played in a city of beings made of light, suspended in the galactic current.

Hans was, as always, methodical. He built quiet structures, patient defenses. I attempted a bold gambit, sacrificing a knight to open his flank.

Hans raised an eyebrow.

I grinned.

The game unfolded like a conversation without words. A reminder that even in the heart of the cosmos, humanity persisted in its small rituals.

But then—

A tremor ran through the table.

The chess pieces flickered.

Hans looked up sharply.

A beam of pale light descended from above, enveloping me in a soft, shimmering column.

Hans reached for me—but the light gently pushed him back.

The Lumenite city fell silent.

And a voice vibrated through my bones.

Axel Lidenbrock. You must come. Alone.

Hans stood, tense but unmoving. He knew better than to fight the light.

I swallowed hard.

The beam lifted me from the ground.

The chessboard vanished beneath me.

The city dissolved into radiance.

And I was carried into the heart of the Lumenite tower.

XIX. The Architect Speaks to Axel Alone

The beam deposited me in a chamber unlike any other—a sphere of pure light, its walls shifting like the surface of a star. In the center floated a small orb, cracked and trembling, leaking faint pulses of white.

The stabilizer.

The prison.

The Architect.

The orb pulsed.

A voice entered my mind—not loud, not commanding, but weary. Ancient. Like a whisper carried across eons.

Axel. You saw me in the Umbra’s heart. You heard my cry.

I felt my knees weaken.

“Y‑yes,” I managed. “You said you were trapped.”

I am. And I chose you.

My breath caught.

“Why me? The Professor is the scientist. Hans is the strong one. I’m—”

You are the witness. You see what others overlook. You fear, but you continue. You doubt, but you learn. You question, and thus you understand.

The orb brightened.

The Umbra grows because the universe has forgotten to listen. But you listened. You deciphered the signals with your uncle. You followed the current. You saw the wound.

I felt a strange warmth in my chest—like sunlight filtered through water.

“What do you want from me?”

The Architect’s voice deepened.

I must be freed. But I cannot free myself. The Umbra feeds on my power. It binds me. It blinds me. It uses me to grow.

The orb trembled violently.

Only a being from the dense worlds—one who is not made of light—can enter the chamber where I am held. Only one who carries matter can sever the Umbra’s tether.

I felt cold.

“You mean… I must go back into the Umbra?”

Yes. But not alone. The Aurora will carry you. The Lumenites will guide you. Your uncle will prepare you. Hans will protect you.

The orb dimmed, as though exhausted.

Axel… if I fall, the Current collapses. Your Sun will dim. Your world will freeze. The dense civilizations will die. The luminous ones will fade. The universe will go dark.

I felt my heart pounding.

“What must I do?”

The Architect pulsed once—bright, clear, resolute.

You must enter the Umbra’s heart. You must sever the tether. You must free me. And you must survive.

The chamber shook.

The orb flickered.

The Architect’s final words echoed through me like a vow:

Axel Lidenbrock… the universe has chosen you.

The beam of light returned.

It carried me back toward the Lumenite city.

Toward Hans.

Toward the Professor.

Toward the Aurora.

Toward the Umbra.

No comments:

Post a Comment