Monday, October 5, 2026

Journey to the Center of the Sun - Vintage Verne - Pt 5

 

XX. Axel Tells the Professor

As recorded by Axel Lidenbrock

The beam of light lowered me gently back into the Lumenite city. The crystalline platform beneath my feet hummed with soft resonance. Hans stood exactly where I had left him, arms folded, eyes narrowed—not in anger, but in the quiet vigilance that had saved our lives more than once.

The Professor arrived moments later, breathless, his coat disheveled, his spectacles askew.

“Axel! Where have you been? The Lumenites said you were summoned—by whom? By what? Tell me everything.”

Hans simply nodded at me, a silent prompt.

I took a breath.

“The Architect spoke to me.”

The Professor froze.

“The Architect? The being inside the stabilizer sphere?”

“Yes. It reached out to me alone.”

The Professor’s eyes widened with a mixture of envy, awe, and paternal concern.

“What did it say?”

I told him.

I told him about the sphere’s voice—ancient, weary, yet resolute. I told him about the Umbra’s tether, the prison, the wound in the cosmic current. I told him that only a being of matter—someone from the dense worlds—could sever that tether. I told him that the Architect had chosen me.

The Professor’s face shifted through a dozen expressions—astonishment, pride, fear, calculation, and finally a fierce determination.

“Axel,” he said, gripping my shoulders, “this is the greatest scientific responsibility ever entrusted to a human being. The fate of the universe—of our Sun, of Earth—may depend on you.”

Hans stepped forward.

“Axel not alone.”

The Professor nodded.

“Indeed. We shall all go. The Aurora is our vessel. The Current is our path. The Umbra is our adversary.”

He straightened his coat, suddenly looking ten years younger.

“We must prepare.”

XXI. The Lumenites Prepare the Aurora for Descent

The Lumenites gathered around the Aurora like surgeons around a patient. Their bodies glowed brighter now, as though the Architect’s summons had awakened some ancient urgency within them.

The lead Lumenite approached us.

The descent into the Umbra requires new protections. Your vessel must be reforged. Your minds must be shielded. Your courage must be tested.

Hans nodded once. The Professor puffed out his chest. I tried not to tremble.

The Lumenites began their work.

1. The Hull of Light

They wove filaments of plasma into the Aurora’s brass hull, embedding luminous veins that pulsed like arteries. The ship’s surface shimmered with a faint iridescence.

This will prevent the Umbra from consuming your matter. Without it, you would dissolve.

I decided not to ask what “dissolve” meant in this context.

2. The Umbra Shield

They installed a crystalline dome at the Aurora’s prow—a sphere of condensed electric force that hummed with a deep, resonant tone.

This shield will repel the Umbra’s tendrils. But only for a time. Use it wisely.

Hans touched the dome. It vibrated gently, like a living heart.

3. The Tether Severance Device

This was the strangest addition: a long, needle-like instrument mounted beneath the Aurora’s hull, forged from a material I could not identify—neither metal nor crystal, but something in between.

The Professor examined it with reverence.

“What is its purpose?”

The Lumenite answered:

It will sever the Umbra’s hold on the Architect. But it must be wielded by a being of matter. It will respond only to Axel.

I felt the weight of the universe settle onto my shoulders.

Hans placed a hand on my arm—steady, grounding.

“You do,” he said simply.

4. The Mind Shield

Finally, the Lumenites placed a small crystalline circlet in my hands. It glowed faintly, warm to the touch.

The Umbra does not only consume energy. It consumes thought. This will protect your mind. Wear it when you enter the heart.

I slipped it onto my head.

A soft hum filled my ears.

The world sharpened.

The Professor watched me with a mixture of pride and fear.

“Axel… you look like a knight preparing for battle.”

Hans nodded.

“Knight of light.”

XXII. Ready for the Descent

The Aurora now floated above the crystalline platform, radiant and transformed—no longer merely a vessel of brass and quartz, but a hybrid of human engineering and cosmic craftsmanship.

The Lumenites stepped back.

The Umbra stirs. The Architect weakens. You must go. The Current will guide you.

The Professor placed a hand on the hull.

“Axel, Hans—prepare yourselves. We descend into the heart of the Shadow.”

Hans climbed aboard.

The Professor followed.

I stood for a moment, staring at the luminous city, the galactic current flowing beyond it, the infinite cosmos waiting.

Then I stepped into the Aurora.

The hatch closed.

The engines hummed.

The current embraced us.

And we began our descent toward the Umbra.

No comments:

Post a Comment