Tuesday, July 10, 2018

A Cresent Moon at Sunrise on the 10th of July 2018



I saw a twinkle at the bottom of the faint outline of the letter 'C' as I looked to the east while skating on the street under the street lights at 4:30 in the morning today. I looked again as I skated out to the main street and looked down the hill towards the square church tower and the reddening eastern sky against the lightening blue and black above. With my naked eye I looked and tried to use my hands to block out some of the many street lights around me. I am in the City of Boston, and the streets glow at night, I could read a book. Well, large type. "What is that light?" I asked myself. "Curiouser, and curiouser..."



As I skated up and down the street I looked toward the moon and again and again thought I saw a little point of a star right at the tip. I went inside to have some more of my green tea and sat down at my kitchen computer to find an answer. I do have a program on another computer that I use that has a 'Night Sky' program, but I don't want to put the disk in. I found one entry on a search with Startpage with the word "The crescent Moon will squeak past the bright star Aldebaran early tomorrow." on a site called "StarDate" https://stardate.org/nightsky. But when I click on the link I didn't see anything about the Moon and Aldebaran. There was an article for 10 July - but I searched the entire page and could not find the year. I suppose they only post for the current month - but where is the the scientific accuracy and attention to detail? Four numerals on the page to answer an important question.



I had skated out to the double yellow line on the empty street and looked to the west to see the flashing red light at the intersection. I skated so the red light was right on the curve of the hill and the yellow street lines were on either side. I looked east and saw the crescent moon and thought of the Islamic image of Venus and the crescent Moon. That's when I thought I saw a little gleam of a light at the bottom. There are lots of lights in the sky around here since there is an airport a couple of miles away. Lots of lights and moving things in the day and night sky. But as I skated on the empty street I did not see the tiny bright light move. I laughed thinking about the 'Alien Bases on the Moon' conspiracy theory.



"There you have it folks, someone is up there doing something!"

As I skated back down my side street I looked through trees and the spaces between houses to see the moon and the twinkling companion. I decided to go inside and get my binoculars and more tea. When I came out the sky was blue and day was here. I looked toward the thin white sliver of the moon and could not see anything off the southern tip. The twinkle was gone.

No comments:

Post a Comment