Wednesday, November 18, 2020

I made $2 on the streets of New York Sketching in Crayon on Scrap Paper

 

I made $2 on the streets of New York Sketching in Crayon on Scrap Paper

Private: I made $2 on the streets of New York Sketching in Crayon on Scrap Paper

I was near the NYC Port Authority Bus Terminal with time to kill on the streets of New York.  So I strolled down the street past the gaudy Madame Trousseau Museum and a two story McDonald’s carts with sausage grilling and smoking and other carts with giant pretzels with giant salt and giant prices.  What a carnival.  People where near the curb selling posters and pictures and books and post cards.  There were a number of sketch artists who would have a person sit in front of them and they would produce a quick sketch for … I don’t know, $5 or was it $10?  Some of the works I saw in charcoal on a 12″x14″ sketch pad looked very good.  I could never produce that kind of portrait or caricature of a person in front of me.  Everything I draw seems to be from my “Isometric Period.”  Kind of like Picasso when he was cubist and abstract.    But not as detailed.  I think my sketches look like something from Jean Cocteau in the 1920’s.


 

As I strolled along the wide sidewalks in the greying evening sky I came upon a small group of four or five watching a woman sketching a young man sitting for his portrait.  I had my clip board in my hand, and a thick crayon stub in the other.  I looked over the woman’s shoulder as she sat on a portable chair in front of me.  She made an interesting hovering movement over the paper with her charcoal stick before she put down a line.


 

A man standing next to me leaned toward me with his hands in his pockets.  “What do you think?”

No comments:

Post a Comment