The coffeehouse is warm, close, and smelling of damp wool and tobacco. Outside, Fleet Street is a
smear of coach‑wheels and lamplight, but inside the three of them sit at a small table: Daniel Defoe, upright and alert; Delarivier Manley, half‑reclined with her gloved hands folded; and Alexander Selkirk, broad‑shouldered, weather‑creased, his eyes still carrying the far horizon.
The scene
Selkirk sits stiffly at first, as if the chair is too fragile for him. He glances at the door, then at the fire, then at the two writers who have summoned him. Defoe leans forward, fingertips together, studying the man with the same curiosity he once applied to merchants, dissenters, and criminals.
Manley watches more quietly. Her gaze is steady, feline, amused but not unkind.
Defoe: “Mr. Selkirk, before we speak of your island years, I should like to understand the beginning of you. The accounts say you were… spirited. Quick to defend yourself.”
Selkirk gives a short laugh, not defensive, simply factual.
Selkirk: “Aye. Spirited’s one word. My father had another. Said I’d sooner use my fists than my tongue. But in Fife, a lad learns early that a sharp elbow keeps you upright.”
Manley tilts her head, her voice soft but probing.
Manley: “And did you fight because you were angry, or because you were restless?”
Selkirk considers this. His hands, large and scarred, rest on the table like tools he has forgotten how to put away.
Selkirk: “Restless, I think. The kirk schoolroom felt too small. The farm too still. I’d look out past the hills and think the world must be wider than the life laid out for me. When a man’s mind runs ahead of his feet, he gets into trouble.”
Defoe nods, pleased by the phrasing.
Defoe: “You had schooling, then? Enough to read, to reckon?”
Selkirk: “Aye. My father insisted. Said a man who can read Scripture can read the sea. I took to numbers quick enough. But books… books made me hungry. They spoke of places where a man might be more than the sum of his quarrels.”
Manley smiles faintly.
Manley: “So you fought not only with men, but with the boundaries of your own village.”
Selkirk’s eyes brighten at that.
Selkirk: “Aye, mistress, that’s it. I wasn’t made for staying put. When the privateer ships came to Leith, I felt something in me crack open. I thought: if I don’t go now, I’ll be buried in the same earth I was born on.”
He pauses, and the fire pops.
Selkirk: “I wasn’t a bad lad. Just… too strong for the life I had. Too much muscle, too much temper, too much wanting.”
Defoe’s voice is gentle now.
Defoe: “And that wanting carried you across the world.”
Selkirk nods, looking down at his hands.
Selkirk: “Aye. Wanting carried me farther than sense did.”
Manley leans forward, her tone warm, inviting more.
Manley: “Tell us of that wanting, Mr. Selkirk. Before the island, before the goats and the solitude. Tell us how a boy from Fife became a man who could survive four years and four months alone.”
Selkirk breathes out slowly, as if releasing a weight he has carried since the sea first took him.
Selkirk: “It starts with a lad who couldn’t bear the thought of living small.”
He looks up at them both — the novelist and the satirist — and for the first time he seems entirely at ease, as if he has found two people who will listen without judgment, who understand that a man’s early storms are part of the map that leads him to the edge of the world.

No comments:
Post a Comment